Pyrmont Fire Station A winner in the 2016 UDIA Excellence Awards
发表于 26/10/2016 Group GSA
GroupGSA is proud to announce that their project, Pyrmont Fire Station won the Excellence in Urban Renewal/Adaptive Reuse in the 2016 UDIA Design Excellence Awards.
Pyrmont Fire Station was originally designed by Government Architect Walter Liberty Vernon and constructed in 1906 to address the compounding fire danger posed by an intense growth in industrial development in the area during the first decade of the 20th century.
In 2013, Fire and Rescue NSW commissioned GroupGSA to refurbish and extend the operational Fire Station and derelict upper floors to improve conditions for the fire fighters and to provide office accommodation for Fire and Rescue NSW staff as part of their relocation program from their current head office in Elizabeth Street, Sydney.
The heritage building was restored, and a new extension was added to the building over the three floors. The contemporary addition is inspired by design methodologies adopted a century ago - innovation, decoration and social creation.
The new extension and fitout respects the beauty of the heritage building. The rear of the building is encapsulated within a new gazed façade tucked away from the street frontage.
The original pressed metal ceiling in the engine bay has been restored, recycled bricks from the site’s dismantled outbuildings were used for infills and repairs and the original walls and rusted tin roof of the ‘fodder’ room, used for the horses in the early 20th Century, has been retained and can be seen from the Level 2 void along with some original art works preserved behind fixed picture frames.
Architect, Janine Graves believes “The upgrade of the locally listed heritage building is a win for urban development within Pyrmont. The Vernon building will continue to be a landmark building for many years to come”.
Full project gallery here