HMAS ALBATROSS STAGE 3 DEVELOPMENT
This Managing Contractor project provides facilities and infrastructure that addresses the significant deficiencies that affect the operations of the Base. The design of the facilities focuses on the upgrading and establishment of facilities that reflect the cultural values of the Navy and better serve the needs of Defence personnel. The new facilities include:
- A new Base support precinct including canteen, messing, retail facilities, Base auditorium and tri service clothing stores;
- Headquarters and working accommodation for Fleet Air Arm;
- A new Air Movements facility;
- Working accommodation for DEIG and EMOS Contractor operations;
- Security facilities and working accommodation for the Naval Police and First Lieutenant;
- A new fitness facility and exercise precinct;
- New front entrance facilities including guardhouse and pass office and new infrastructure facilities including incoming switching stations and a CEPS facility.
The project involved the siting of 10 new facilities and three adaptive re use refurbishment projects on a Base with no master plan. GroupGSA were able to add value to the project developing an understanding of the core critical functions that form the mechanics of the Base to ensure that the correct planning decisions were able to be made, avoiding conflicts with future Base capability and functions.
As part of this process the GroupGSA team developed a very simple planning diagram that enabled Defence stakeholders to instantly comprehend how the Base functions from a planning perspective. The diagram has been used time and time again to ratify planning decisions ensuring the most appropriate long term sites are selected for facilities.