Burwood East Primary School International Tree Planting Day with Frasers
Published on 12/06/2017 Group GSA
GroupGSA was invited by Frasers Property Australia to do a ‘Food Forest’ themed vegetable garden design for Burwood East Primary School, Victoria, as part of National Tree Day 2017.
The initial concept design was completed by Zhi Cai as we got behind this great initiative with Frasers, an event of which they participate in every year.
The final design was reviewed internally by the team at Frasers to ensure the materials specified can be sourced in preparation for the day.
On 28th of July, Zhi Cai attended the planting and together with the team from Frasers, as well as teachers, parents and students.
As a result we upgraded the existing deteriorating vegetable garden to a ‘Food Forest’ vegetable garden complete with:
- Additional raised planters for vegetable gardens, planted with fresh herbs and vegetables;
- Small fruit trees such as lemon, mandarin, apples and olives;
- Fruiting creepers such as passion fruit;
- New native shrubs and grasses to garden beds;
- A new access path for assisted wheelchair access to the planter beds;
- Three new seating benches to replace two worn out benches in the appropriate location for holding outdoor classes;
- New mulched paths for more comfortable access to the vegetable garden; and
- Various new planting to uplift forgotten and unattractive spaces around the school buildings.